Kee-yah! Who doesn't love a good martial arts movie? Netflix may have some questionable titles (Zombeavers) but what it has in spades are awesome, kick-ass kung-fu movies. Here are my top 10 picks for the best/favorite kung-fu movies on Netflix.
10. Kill Bill Volume 1 & 2 Quentin Tarantino's big bombastic love letter to kung-fu movies starring Uma Thurman as a revenge seeking killing machine. While this is more of a homage to the classics, but it's hard to ignore the director's stylized take on the genre.
9. Bloodsport Jean Claude Van Damme's martial arts film follows the true story of Frank Dux. Frank leaves the American army to fight in an underground martial arts competition in Japan called the Kumite. Obviously acting is not one of the movie's strong suites, but it does have some great fight sequences. Van Damme's first movie still holds up today.
8. The Big Boss This film has martial arts star Bruce Lee sworn to a life of non-violence. That is until his family starts disappearing in an ice factory and he has no other choice but to start kicking ass to uncover the truth. While not as strong as some other entries, this is definitely an essential Bruce Lee flick.
7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I might get some slack for not putting this one higher, but it's only because this movie owes so much to what came before it. The film's plot pits warriors against each other to uncover a stolen sword. This movie not only has film legend Yun-Fat Chow but also Michelle Yeoh in some beautifully choreographed fight sequences. It also has two time Oscar winner Ang Lee at the helm.
6. Wing Chun Michelle Yeoh in another great kung-fu film. This time she plays a woman who finally stands up to some robbers in her village. A fellow user from pixslate recommended this movie a couple weeks ago, and I'm so glad they did. This movie has one great fight scene after another and creates a superb blend of action and comedy.
5. Iron Monkey Director Woo-Ping Yuen has created some of the finest kung-fu films of the last 30 years, with this as no exception. The movie centers on a bandit called the Iron Monkey, who steals from corrupt authorities to give to the poor, sort of like a kung-fu Robin Hood. While some of the action scenes can get a little unrealistic, this is still a standout martial arts movie.
4. Ip Man This movie tells the kind-of-sort-of true story of Yip Man who brought the fighting style of Wing Chun to the mainstream, and was also the real life master of Bruce Lee. Actor and martial artist Donnie Ye gives another great performance with some killer fight scenes. Even though a lot of the story is inaccurately portrayed, its still a wonderfully crafted movie.
3. The Legend of Drunken Master One of my all time favorites. Jackie Chan plays a martial artist who has mastered the art of drunken boxing, which is exactly how it sounds. So what if the plot is lackluster? The fight scene with the axe gang is one of the very best I've ever seen. A must watch.
2. Way of the Dragon Featuring one of the most notorious fights in film history, Bruce Lee goes toe to toe with American tank Chuck Norris. The film is well paced with some great action scenes, but it all comes down to the final fight to the death between the two legends in a Roman coliseum. An essential martial arts film.
1. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin A film so iconic, so legendary, that American hip-hop band The Wu-Tang Clan decided to name their first album after the movie. Director Chia-Liang Liu creates one of the very best kung-fu movies of all time about a secret organization disguised as school masters. It was hard picking a number one spot, but I give it to this film because of how influential it is. A movie you have to see at least once.
What are your favorite kung-fu movies on Netflix? Leave comments.
Do you have a list of movies that you want to recommend? Now you have a place to do it.
|What Chef lacks in plot, it makes up in beautiful cinematography|
|Submitted by anabbate to px/Reviews.|
|2 Comments | Share|