I love reading fan's opinions over what movies big time directors should tackle next. One of my favorites to read about is Christopher Nolan. After Interstellar the internet was animated with theories about Nolan's next project. Some say he should do a gangster movie, some said another sci-fi movie, and some thought he would be directing the next James Bond installment.
But now the waiting can come to an end. It was revealed last month that the director's next project will be a WWII drama titled 'Dunkirk'. For those of you who don't know what Dunkirk is (I didn't) and don't feel like googling it, it is a city in France. In 1940 a great number of allied troops were secretly evacuated from the beaches and harbor. The movie itself will star mostly no-named actors, but Tom Hardy and Kenneth Branagh have been rumored to join the ensemble cast.
In anticipation of Nolan's next movie, which will be released in the Summer of 2017, I will be counting down the director's 9 movies from best to worst.
9. Insomnia I wouldn't say that Nolan has yet to make a 'bad' movie, but Insomnia is definitely the weakest. With a cast that includes Al Pacino, Hillary Swank and Robin Williams, this should be one of the best. And while it has it's moments the end result comes off as a tad bland.
8. Inception This movie might be higher on the list thanks to it's box-office returns rather then its movie making attributes. The concept is quite good but the film, like most of Nolan's movies, lacks heart. Everything moves at such a quick pace that its hard for the audience to catch their breath.
7. The Dark Knight Rises What could have been a grand finale turned about to be a boated, slight disappointment. The movie is a tad too long for its own good, and the plot is wonky at times. However, Tom Hardy's performance and the fight between his Bane and Batman elevates the film to decent enough.
6. Interstellar Nolan's sci-fi movie about interstellar travel is thought provoking, but it's also heavy-handed in long strains of expositions and hammy family drama. Still, the visuals are amazing and the acting top-notch.
5. Following Nolan's first movie, but still one of the strongest. This is a black and white film noir that has great direction and a smart plot. A stroke of luck; the entire movie is on YouTube! Check it out on the link above.
4. The Prestige This evocative thriller is about two rival magicians played by Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale. At both the same time a period piece and a sci-fi movie, this one is perfectly paced, features great acting, and contains one of my favorite ending in recent movies.
3. Batman Begins One of my favorite comic book adaptations of all time, this Batman origin movie was a breath of fresh air after the abysmal 'Batman and Robin.' This was the first Batman film that actually dived into Bruce Wayne's psyche. It has a great story, filled with powerful performances and stunning action scenes.
2. The Dark Knight If you took Batman Begins and Michael Mann's 'Heat' into a blender and hit the puree button, then you'd have a tall glass of The Dark Knight. The second installment in his trilogy, Christopher Nolan creates a gritty crime drama that includes the legendary performance from Heath Ledger as the Joker. It changed the public's perception about what to expect from comic book movies.
1. Memento Nolan's masterpiece. The film is told in reverse through a man's point of view who can't remember anything past 5 minutes. Guy Pearce plays the forgetful man who is on the hunt to find his wife's killer. This movie is absolutely breathtaking. The creativity, the direction, the acting all come together to make a movie experience unlike any other. Some say that the film loses it's allure after the first viewing, but I say its just as good. Maybe even better.
A place to discuss upcming movies.
|What We Did on Our Holiday was a surprisingly nice movie!|
|What We Did on Our Holiday |
|Submitted by anabbate to px/theOtherStuff.|
|2 Comments | Share|
|One Punch Man is Wacky, Silly and All Sorts of Fun|
|Submitted by JackRabbitSlims to px/Animated.|
|7 Comments | Share|
|What a fun movie! Thank you, Deadpool, for the reference.|
|Ferris Bueller's Day Off|
|Submitted by deadpool to px/comedies.|
|9 Comments | Share|
|Obvious Child deals with strong subjects while being a charming and frank comedy|
|Submitted by anabbate to px/comedies.|
|5 Comments | Share|
|Happy Alien Day! Every Alien Movie Ranked Worst to Best|
|Submitted by JackRabbitSlims to px/lists.|
|2 Comments | Share|